Sunday, May 07, 2006

On Top Of the World

I wish I could take a picture of the Himalayans mountain range as the plane approached Katmandu International Airport. Their peaks pierced through the high-altitude clouds with majesty and glory.

I am now out of Iran and blogging again. The communications in Iran is all controlled by the regime. So everything is SLOW. My mobile phone hardly worked and the internet surfed at a cruzing 36.6 kbs (LESS THAN DIAL-UP FOLKS) in our area.

For most part Katmandu is pretty much like any city in India less the cows. There is THAT smell and friendly fasces saying Namista mister. Beggers point to their cup to every white and foreign face. Poor kids who do not go to school and beg for food, know enough English to follow you for blocks and say “hungry mister”, “need food mister” and so on.

Katmandu is a real friendly place. As we drove by the King’s palace the extremes between the haves and have-nots was evident.

I think I am going to enjoy Nepal because I am actually trying to be a tourist as I have been pricing small things to buy.

The stereo in the internet cafĂ© is playing “Country Road Take Me Home”!!! I feel home-sick. The young Nepali guy running the place singing along with a pretty good accent!!!!

Ps – Qatar International Airport is reduced to ONE single large room for all travelers and it sucks. In fairness they are under construction. But spending transit time there is as good as being incarcerated with 1,000 other people.

Ramin Talaie
Katmandu
, Nepal

No comments: